10-15-14 | Our Programs
The key ingredient – SOAP!
Today, Fabretto students join millions of children and schools around the world to celebrate World Handwashing Day! Changing habits is the best way to make sustainable improvements to community health. It’s effective, it’s affordable, and it’s important.
All Fabretto beneficiaries–students, parents, teachers, community leaders–participate in regular workshops on proper handwashing techniques with soap. Here are 5 reasons why:
1. Handwashing with soap can reduce diarrheal diseases and acute respiratory diseases like pnemonia by up to 50%.
2. Providing soap in schools can reduce student absences by up to 42%.
3. Handwashing with soap has been shown to be the most cost-effective method of improving overall health and well-being.
4. Studies have shown that over 200,000 lives could be saved each year JUST through handwashing with soap and reducing incidence of diarrheal and respiratory diseases.
5. Handwashing puts the power in your hands! Through good hygiene and daily habits, communities are empowered to take control of their health.
Fabretto students in Acahualinca washing their hands before lunch
Photography by Kuba Okon – www.kubaokon.com